Monday 18 July 2011

Fear – a simple word that can hold our lives hostage

Today is Mandela Day, we celebrate Nelson Mandela’s ninety third birthday, we celebrate this wonderful and courageous man who bought so many people together and helped to free a nation.

In the light of all of this, strangely after the weekend’s full moon I’ve discovered, not just within myself but also in those around me, the surfacing of fears, old and new.

Over recent years I have become loud and proud of me, just being me. After a good few years in my teens and early twenties of staying hidden, I was able to take that brave step out of the broom closet. I was raised in a Christian home, I was an alter girl and my dad is a priest, though I had always felt it wasn’t the right place for me.

When I found Wicca, and began to realise more and more that it was the path I wanted to follow that was when the “fear of god” was really felt the most. After a good few years of struggling within myself, I was able to step out and tell the rest of the world “here I am, accept it, I know I have”.

It doesn’t matter which fear you are facing, whether it be religion, sexuality or having to move on to the next step in your life, where there will be a “comfort” that you are leaving behind ask yourself:

“Am I scared of what I think of this? Do I fear myself for what or who I am?”

Really think about this question, take a few minutes to absorb it. Then I don’t want you to just say “yes” or look for quick fix answer, this is something you need to work on. What I can suggest is, start writing.

After you have thought about the question, just write about anything and everything. This will be your mind’s way of sorting through all the “garbage” that has piled up in front of your truth.

When you feel that you really have the answer to your question, think about your answer for a while.

Then start writing again just on the theme of your answer. Write down everything you know that relates to it. The point of this writing is for you to find a point of moving forward. You have started to face your fear, but what are you going to do with this knowledge? Now you need to find away to take the first step forward.

I’m not just giving you this advice but I’m also taking it for myself. What I have shared with you is what I have done in the past that has helped me time and time again and believe it or not but I will be doing this again this week. Writing through my fears helps in two ways. Firstly I can sort through all the garbage I’m holding onto and secondly, I am getting everything out and I’m not keeping it locked up inside of myself.

I hope my advice helps.

Bright Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment