Monday 28 November 2011

All the Little things



I must apologise that this week’s blog post is a bit late but I feel that it is for a good reason.

I sat looking out my window on a warm summer’s day and I watched as a small white butterfly danced amongst the purple and pink flowers in my garden. It was such a beautiful and yet fragile image. I thought about how easily a moment of anger could crush and destroy it.

Over the past week there seemed to be a lot of negativity in the air, a lot of it did have to do with black Tuesday. However one thing I noticed was that a lot of the response to the events that happened was not only negative but it was not based on people understanding exactly how the process of passing a new bill works. A lot of assumptions were made and these spread like wild fire.

I understood that if I took the approach of “cheer up and look at the facts” it was not going to go down well and if I were to say too much of anything, there would be people waiting in the sidelines to shoot me down or at the very least try their damnedest at counteracting my argument.

Unfortunately I can’t get masses of people to educate themselves and quite honestly, I was not up to back and forth political arguments. I made the decision to sit out from the facebook drama for the day. Though my status feed was constantly plagued with everyone making sure they had their two cents worth. There was so much negativity about the bill being passed, and it made me wonder, out of all the people complaining, how many of them had actually taken action? The Right 2 Know campaign supplied all of us with plenty of information to help make a stand but how many people actually did something about it other than blacking out their status update or passing some snide comment about the government?

I will admit, I am guilty of not having done enough to stand up for my rights and yes I regret it. I am also guilty of not doing much these days for anyone or anything. Anybody who really knows me will know that this isn’t me. I’m normally there with my two cents worth too. I am normally trying to make some kind of a difference, even if it’s just a small one.

This week I didn’t want to feel as if I was sitting on a high-horse, pointing out my finger saying “look at what I am doing to help, what have you done lately?” The truth be told, recently I’ve hit the ground, and boy did I hit it hard and I have really been struggling with trying to stand back up on my own two feet again, or to even crawl.

After looking at this weeks whirlwind of negativity and then looking at myself and asking myself what I am doing to make a difference, I guess I finally realised just how hard I might have fallen.

So I thought, screw it. I am going to ignore what I can and I am going to spend the next few days trying to enjoy the simple things in life. I am going to try to use the small things that count to help pick myself up again.

That is what I have been doing these past few days, I have been trying to enjoy the small moments that life has to offer. I have been looking at all the little things that make me happy and I have been trying to enjoy them as much as I possibly could.

It was hard, very hard. It is so easy to get wrapped up in negativity, especially when it is from something big and there is a lot of it going around. It is so easy to become passionate about all the bad things that happen and yet it is incredibly difficult to build up passion from happiness by enjoying the little things life has to offer.

How can any of us make a real difference in this world when we are powered by a negative passion? We should be finding our strength in our joy, happiness and love and using that to make a difference and create a better future.

How do we do it? That it such a tough question to answer. Being fuelled by rage is powerful but it will only get us so far, we need to find that source of continuous, positive strength to work from.

I have gone through bad times and I have used negative energy from negative situations to propel me forward and into action but afterwards I have felt completely exhausted and I often feel like I had not really accomplished anything. So now I have decided to change my strategy.

If I am going to make a difference in any way, I want it to come from a good place and I have decided that the best way for me to start is by looking at the small things. I am going to enjoy as many small moments as I possibly can and I am going to start appreciating them a lot more.

I don’t want to feel fallen and exhausted anymore. I am going to work on changing my own personal energy and my own attitude and I am going to make it something worth sharing in this world. It might take time but it is better than jumping on the bandwagon of pessimism and helping to share that around.

There is something out there that is worth sharing.


No comments:

Post a Comment