Friday 21 December 2018

Litha Blessings!

The eve of Litha is upon us, and although I'm excited to celebrate it this year, it's also a bitter sweet celebration.

It marks a month since Akura, one of our beloved cats passed away. It was a sudden and unexpected death, and it still hurts. She wasn't just any cat, and even though we saw her as our "fur child" - she was so much more than that... she was also my wife's Familiar.

It's hard to explain to muggles, and many people what this means exactly. Out of the 11 four legged, fluffy furkids in our home, only two have had this title. My boy Jinx is my Familiar, and Akura was my wife's. A familiar is not just another furry family member, but for us witches there exists a very special, spiritual bond with the animal.

During Litha, it's traditional to have an animal blessing rite, as a result every time I've thought of coming up with celebrations, or creating any rituals for the day, my mind turns to our beloved Akura, my heart hurts (sometimes I cry), and I struggle to move forward.

As a result, I thought it best that maybe we make it a more casual get together for the day. In true South African style we will be having a braai with seasonal salads. But I still want to do something to celebrate the day, so I will be having a small bowl to burn offerings in, and we will do a traditional jumping over of the fire for prosperity and abundance, and we will leave out some milk and honey for the Faye Folk.

I also still very much want to do something that includes an animal blessing, as my pets are such an important part of my life. Besides our loss, the other biggest hurdle we are facing is that there will be no less then twenty pets to be represented over three households, the logistics of getting everyone together for a quick blessing would prove to be quite difficult. Instead I've gone for a candle blessing, where I will be blessing a candle, which in turn when burned in the homes of the furry family members and will impart the blessing onto them. Here's the blessing I came up with, and hopefully you can use it too.



Animal Blessings Candle - blessing ritual

You will need a candle, preferably plain white
Dried chamomile flowers (or chamomile tea would work) – this is the flower for harmony (especially in homes with multiple pets), peace, healing and happiness.
Dried basil leaves – for protection
Dried cloves – for protection and healing.

You can place these herbs in a blessing oil to steep for a few hours (or for a day or two at room temperature), before using it to anoint your candle, or you can melt down some candle wax and place the herbs in the wax, to dip your pet protection candle in. Just make sure the wax isn’t too hot, or you might create a fire when you add the dried herbs.

Have your plain white candle and the oil or wax with the herbs in ready on your altar to be blessed. Set up your sacred space as you normally would, call on the quarters and invoke your deity.

When you are ready to bless the candle, place your hands over the candle and oil / wax herbal mix and say the following incantation:

Artemis, with your arrow straight and true
Bless this candle I bring to you
Imbue it with peace, harmony and love
And protection from you hereof
Bless this candle and its flame
So that all animals, wild and tame
Within the home where it may burn
Will your love and protection earn

Dip the white candle into the oil or wax, and then place it back onto your altar. Place your hands over it once again and repeat the above incantation.

When the candle is blessed, light it’s flame, and visualise the light extending out over your home, and keeping all the animals within happy, safe and living together in harmony.


If you are going to be gifting it to friends or your coven, as I am. Include a copy of the incantation, and a description of visualising the light extending out and over their furry loved ones, so that they can perform the visualisation when they burn the candle in their own homes.

To end today's post I want to finish off by sharing with you some Summer Solstice Facts. I wish you and your family an Blessed Litha, and for our friends in the North a Blessed Yule, and I wish you only the best for the year to come



No comments:

Post a Comment